well, this is the start of my own blog. this is in English as it is mainly for my English speaking friends out there that I cannot be in contact with regularly. I hope I can make something useful out of this :)

Montag, März 27, 2006

culture shock

When I arrived in Thailand I read a book called "culture shock" teaching me about a culture shock and why you would get one arriving in Thailand. It was quite an interesting book, but, no, there was no culture shock, everything was new and exciting.
Now, being back in Germany since 2 days, I think I finally suffer from culture shock, here are my reasons:

1. I got totally annoyed by all the Geman people when I boarded the plane in Bangkok.

2. Once on the plane, my annoyance got more and more, listening to people complaining about
the cue for the toilet. Do they think other people do not have the need to be relieved from bladder pressure???

3. Once out of the plane back in Düsseldorf, ther was a long cue for passport control. Sure, that is what you expect if you dont fly inbetween Europe, and of course, it takes some time... but here's the complaining "hat kind of a service is that? I cant believe this! This is not Bangladesh is it?"
"Welcome back to Germany" the guy in the cue next to me murmured. How true!

4. Even though we finally hit spring and have 16 degrees, I keep freezing and wearing all my winter clothes

5. My stomach is not used to western food anymore. Everything is fat and lies heavy on ur stomach. I do not feel very well after eating.

6. Walking through the city today, I missed all the smiling and happy faces. Where am I?

7. Went out for dinner with my friends yesterday, but how expensive is this country? For one meal here you get 12 meals in Thailand? Weird...

8. Being in bed it feels weird to cover yourself with a thick blanket, and where is all the sweat???

9. While driving today it felt weird to be on the right side of the road and the traffic was so organised.

10. I miss the sun, the heat, the food, the lifestyle, the friendliness, the lazyness, I miss everything about Thailand!

Culture shock was defined as the craving for things known from home and the idolising of the home country. but Thailand is not my home country and I am sure, I hope, I will be alright in a few days. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That's interesting Stef, now you are used to living like they do in Thailand, which is probably alot nicer than how we live in our countries, always rushing, rude and impatient etc etc.

10:40 PM

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home