well, this is the start of my own blog. this is in English as it is mainly for my English speaking friends out there that I cannot be in contact with regularly. I hope I can make something useful out of this :)

Sonntag, August 14, 2005

my week in Munich


Well, times goes by too fast sometimes and my week in Munich is already past. I have had a good time, I was kind of excited when I left cos I did not know what to expect, I did not know what my work at the museum would be like and I also was all on my own. But I was smart enough to book into a nice backpackers hostel, which was cheap on the one hand and on the other hand, I met a few very nice people and I am proud to say that I have made some new friends from America.
To give you a rough idea of what I have experienced I will put some pics in here :)
On the right side you can see me and my good friend the Bavarian beer-drinking lion ;) Lions are some kind of symbol for the Munich people and the players of a football club (not FC Bayern Munich but TSV 1860 Munich) proudly call themselves "The Lions".



This is the famous Frauenkirche right in the centre of Munich. You can see its two chapels from a far distance and luckily they gave me a bit of orientation while I was going for walks. It still had to happen that I got lost one day without a map. So I had to ring my friend to look at a map at home to tell me where I was, how embarassing but soo funny in the end.


This is the same church. The pic is taken from the roof of the New Rathaus on Marienplatz. In this church our Pope became archbishop. A huge picture fo him inside reminds us that his origins are in Munich.


I dont have to say what is on this picture I think :) but I had to put it on, I really like the perspective.

Oh well, these two funny girls are me and my friend Franziska, she came over for the weekend. We are wearing traditional Bavarian dresses. There are some rumours and prejudices that every German looks like that, but we dont!!! Women wear those "Dirndl" mostly if they work as a waitress in a Bavarian restaurant where they serve you the nicest things, like lung, liver or any other imaginable inner organs from animals. Yuck! But dont worry, it is also possible to order chicken or pork.


Anybody knows what that is? Well if you dont know by now, you will maybe here about it in a year when we hold the football World Cup. This is the stadium of FC Bayern Munich, the Allianz Arena, and it is just amazing how it is built. I hope that next year a lot of international people will be in Munich to celebrate the biggest football happening in the world together. We have still enough time to argue who is going to win the cup. I have no idea yet.


Hahahaha, this is me at work!!! I worked for that week in the German Museum. It is a huge and famous museum which covers any imaginable field in techniques and science. So as I am a chemistry student, I obviously worked in the chemistry department. Every day they hold a lecture for the visitors and show them some fascinating experiments. And the last day at work I was offered the task to do these experiments. I was so excited and I really liked it.


And here I proudly present the Hofbräuhaus! Anybody visiting Munich surely should not miss out on that one. It is a must once you are there. It is very touristy though, but in a good mix with Bavarian tradition. You are served glasses of beer which hold one litre, you can eat Pretzn or listen to a band playing traditional music. The later you go there the worse it gets, in case you are not drunk already...


This is a building everybody connects to Munich. It is the Rathaus on Marienplatz which holds the famous Glockenspiel in its tower. The whole plaza in front of it is crowded with tourists to hear the sounds of the bells and to see little figures move in the tower. Crazy, but you have to see it.

Well, I hope everybody enjoyed the little trip through Munich. I did when I was there and I am sure I will be back soon. But just now I need to go and rest my head on my soft pillow in my cosy warm bed :)

I will write more soon, until then, take care everybody! xxx